Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

THE GARDEN (For Ash Wednesday)

I am a child of the Woodstock generation.

The 70s were transitional years in terms of sexuality, civil rights, music and evangelism just to name a few things. I was more conventional and resisted much of their allure. I could not resist Christ. He called. I came. His grace kept me.

There was a song written by Joni Mitchell and popularized by Cosby, Stills, Nash and Young during those Woodstock years. The chorus says:

"We are stardust, we are golden,
We are caught in the devils bargain,
And we got to get ourselves back to the garden."


Genesis says that God's voice walked with Adam in the Garden in the cool of the day. Constant fellowship. The Creator wanted us to have access to Him. That access would be denied due to sin until the Son of God found Himself in another garden far removed from the first, cup in hand, soul determined to save us. God on His knees for us. On His knees for me.

Today is Ash Wednesday and it begins a season of reflection and appreciation. A season of self denial and of disconnecting with old habits and patterns that displace this wonderful Gardner, our Savior.

Take the next 40 days and follow His life through the Word to the garden, the cross, the grave and His resurrection. Wait with him a little while as He asked.

Psalm 19

12 How can I know all the sins lurking in my heart?
Cleanse me from these hidden faults.
13 Keep your servant from deliberate sins!
Don’t let them control me.
Then I will be free of guilt
and innocent of great sin.

14 May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing to you,
O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

Psalm 130

3 Lord, if you kept a record of our sins,
who, O Lord, could ever survive?
4 But you offer forgiveness,
that we might learn to fear you.

5 I am counting on the Lord;
yes, I am counting on him.
I have put my hope in his word.
6 I long for the Lord
more than sentries long for the dawn,
yes, more than sentries long for the dawn.

May this be a time of longing for Him with renewed commitment and abiding gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment