Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Taking the Ark to Heart

In 2 Samuel 6 David asks a question I have been asking myself.

I have been reading a book by Max Lucado who takes the reader to the moment David considers to bring the Ark of God "Home" to Jerusalem. (Praiseworthy ambition on the face of it).

The chapter shows however that no matter how determined we are to have God, no matter how elaborate and deliberate our plan to embrace Him, we must approach Him on His terms.

You know the story. The Ark which was to be carried by the priests on poles was put on a cart drawn by animals. The oxen stumble, Uzzah reaches to steady the Ark...no more Uzzah.

At this point all of the songs, the band, the plans are for nothing. David is stunned. Afraid. Stops all forward motion. The place is named after "The explosion, or breaking forth," against Uzzah.

I remember a lesson Cheryl Haley taught about the Exodus where the focus was Israel's commitment to the Lord when it was determined that if God did not lead them up they were hunkered down until it was God who moved.

I appreciate the question David ask upon the death of Uzzah. "How can the Ark of the Lord ever come to me?"

I want the Ark. It has within it all the symbols of power, provision and authority as Max points out. It is also only coming on God's terms. What are His terms for Kathy LaMantia? How will the Spirit of God cause me to behold all ordinary elements within me that must be replaced by His sacred ways?

So I am asking the Holy Spirit today and with every sunrise, "How can the Lord come to me today? What needs to be changed, corrected, removed, sacrificed, disciplined? What needs to be reverenced, honored and cherished so that intimacy with the Almighty is flowing and unfettered? Show me how to regard Christ who is the Ark of God to us"

Samuel had the beginnings of an answer, "Speak Lord. Your servant is listening."

If we do not ask ourselves the question in the first place we can never hear the answer.

HINT: The answer to David's question ended in a dance.


(Celebrating the birth of Samuel Lawrence Marsrow to Casey and Amanda. May he be the listening servant his father prays for.)

No comments:

Post a Comment