Pages

Friday, June 24, 2011

Magnificat Anima Mea, Dominum!

Mary said, My soul magnifies the Lord,
and my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.
for he has looked upon the low estate of his bondmaid;
behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
For the Mighty One has done to me great things, and Holy [is] his name; and his mercy [is] to generations and generations to them that fear him.


There is a long, fine tradition of God revealing to his loved ones exactly who they are. I love Mary's Song, or the Canticle of Mary, or The Magnificat as the Catholics call her prophetic utterance describing who she was in God.

If God calls us He tells us who we are. I especially love that this particular "telling" of her future came with a generational promise of mercy.

As mother and grandmother I claim that merciful dispensation for my family. My family will have mercy and grace because His Name is Holy One.

I want to be a woman who magnifies.

The more my soul magnifies Him the more it can hold and behold. Magnification does just what it says. It makes Him larger. It fills eyes and hearts with glorious belief in our substantial God. The God who is bigger than, who is big enough. When we magnify the Lord we see our problems in the shadow He casts not the other way around and we thrill our own souls in the process.

I magnify the One whose Name is Holy!

Magnificat anima mea, Dominum!


Painting by Sue Crow. Visit her site for a real treat.
http://www.suecrow.co.uk/id16.html

No comments:

Post a Comment