Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Christ Will Unhurt You

My First Thought

Eternal Father of my soul, let my first thought today be of You, let my first impulse be to worship You, let my first speech be Your name, let my first action be to kneel before You in prayer.

For Your perfect wisdom and perfect goodness:

For the love with which You love mankind:

For the love with which You love me:

For the great and mysterious opportunity of my life:

For the indwelling of your Spirit in my heart:

For the sevenfold gifts of your Spirit:

I praise and worship You, O Lord.

Yet let me not, when this morning prayer is said, think my worship ended and spend the day in forgetfulness of You. Rather from these moments of quietness let light go forth, and joy, and power, that will remain with me through all the hours of the day;

Keeping me chaste in thought:

Keeping me temperate and truthful in speech:

Keeping me faithful and diligent in my work:

Keeping me humble in my estimation of myself:

Keeping me honorable and generous in my dealings with others:

Keeping me loyal to every hallowed memory of the past:

Keeping me mindful of my eternal destiny as a child of Yours.

Through Jesus Christ my Lord, Amen.


John Baillie (1886-1960) was born in Scotland. He was a professor, theologian, and author. Taken from Richard Foster’s Devotional Classics, pp. 126-127.


I found this gem on the Ann Voskamp blog site I follow and felt a place in me light up when I read it. "The great and mysterious opportunity of my life," part went straight to my core. Christ is absolutely that very dazzling and awe inspiring source of unfolding, secret beauty to me. I love you, Lord!

Where Baillie prays for God to keep him loyal to every hallowed memory of the past, that phrase slides a plate next to mine at the table of celebrated remembrance today and begs to be filed. I love to Remember!

July 31, 1988 was a life changing day that brought a Renaissance in our marriage. 33 Marion Drive crashed head on into 12 Bassett Street and it was a mess. A mess we let God step into. It was a full 10 pointer on the spiritual Richter scale that left us shaken and whole. A God being God for us moment we celebrate every year and today is that day. I love you, John!




Sticks and stones may break your bones but God's words will
unhurt
you!

Whatever is broken in your life, Christ can fix it.
Whatever is gasping out its last, Christ can revive it.
Whatever is hollow inside of you, Christ can fill it.
Whatever is crumbling around your feet, Christ can rebuild it.
Whatever is crushing you, Christ can lift it.

His Word will unhurt you.
His Plan will unhurt you.
His Grace will unhurt you.
His Embrace will unhurt you.
His Love will unhurt you.

Written by me, lived by me, believed by me!

For just a moment think of the difference in your life if you knew that at the deepest level of your being God was besotted with you, that God yearns for you, yearns that you turn and be in relationship with Him as the beloved of God.
—Marcus Borg

Three things will last forever, faith, hope and love. Love is the greatest.1 Corinthians 13:13

Today, Lord, we remember how amazing you are and how well you love us!







No comments:

Post a Comment