Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

But God...

Once upon a time my only child looked over the rim of Hell and singed off his eyebrows but it was my heart the smell of burnt hair clung to.

"But God..."


What an amazing phrase. Interjecting possibilities and safety and restoration into the most desperate of situations. I was smashed to bits, wandering in a desert, praying through cracked lips...but God! He was sending grace ahead into my future and planning a homecoming when my own hand was too tired to make the Welcome Home banner.

Even as my son was fasting from virtue and every solidly life giving thing we had ever lived before him, Christ was setting a place at the table.

Christ arrives right on time to make this happen. He didn't, and doesn't, wait for us to get ready. He presented himself for this sacrificial death when we were far too weak and rebellious to do anything to get ourselves ready. And even if we hadn't been so weak, we wouldn't have known what to do anyway...But God put his love on the line for us by offering his Son in sacrificial death while we were of no use whatever to him. (Romans 5 The Message)

I rejoice to say the fatted calf was eaten years ago and now my son lives by God's grace to teach his own son of the sure mercies of our Father. God heard me and rescued my son. He answered my prayers and honored my fasts.

If you are a parent in need of a miracle, Jesus offers Himself as that miracle. He will not fail you. He will not dismiss your tears. "The Son of Man came to seek and to save that which was lost." (Luke 19:10)

Christ has a special blessing for such Extreme Motherhood*: The child that was dead is returned to life.

If I wrote this for you, hold fast to a hope. God is good for it.

My own gratitude is daily and absolute.

-Kat


* My Bible Study and Encouragement for mother's of difficult children.



No comments:

Post a Comment