Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

Pull Me Into Your World

Stretch out your great net, Lord

Your web of light that joins us

like spider silk joins branch to barn

that carries subtle movements

across thought and time

pulling me gently into your world

Catch me up in your dreaming

looking at the sides unseen

moon's hidden face not turned to us

animal voices speaking secrets

seas answering wind


stem kissing branch

You are the mystery

my soul pursues


Pull Me Into Your World  
by Kat Cavanaugh LaMantia

It’s the very nature of wonder to catch us off guard, to circumvent expectations and assumptions. Wonder can’t be packaged, and it can’t be worked up. It requires some sense of being there and some sense of engagement. -Eugene Peterson


That's it. I want to be There. I want the secrets. Big secrets broken down into their parts. I want to marvel at the gears of the Universe, the pulleys of Creation. How does a virus look like an alien landscape, how was both a clock and a compass placed in a horseshoe crab, who taught the bees to dance? How? How? How?

Like the constant, "Why Daddy?" I pestered my earthly father with, I want the keys to the mysteries. I want the new languages needed to grasp such marvels. I want the tour. I want God to show me the blueprints , to drag them out like an old family album. Our history, the story of God and us.

It has all been for us. For you and for me. Made "good" so good someone had to invent  "Hallelujah!."

In long winter evenings I look to the heavens. Moon and stars. Aurora. My friend  Kim and  I chased the moon with a car full of boys and the moon winked and hid as part of the game.

In summer there are ground cover mysteries, and rocks pulled from ponds, starfish found in tide pools and nests in spruce.  

Solomon had his "too wonderful for me" mysteries because it is really God who is too wonderful. We will never reach His borders in an Eternity of trying.

I could go on. But the most wondrous mystery is that God so loved us, all of us, imperfect us, so much that He sent the Dearest to eat with us and drink with us and open the gates of Paradise for us at great cost.

The mystery of His love, who can know it?  Not the most important question. Ask who can have it.

On this night when a friend calls to ask for prayer the One who is our Savior has saved a Hallelujah just for her. The One who made her, who has a thread tied from His heart to hers makes His presence known and the wonder of it dwarfs all the rest of it.

"And from my smitten heart, with tears, two wonders I confess: The wonders of redeeming love and my unworthiness." Elizabeth Clephane

Has Christ smitten your heart? Let Him pull you into the wonder of His matchless love and the world that was made from nothing but that love. Sun, moon, stars and starfish; just hints, promises really of more wonder to come. 

Stretch out your great net, Lord and pull me into your world.



2 comments:

  1. Not being a believer, I almost passed this over. This is like all the real things that are thrilling such as real butter on biscuits and real maple syrup on hot cakes. Just for a minute you pulled me to someplace I said I would never go. I am not changing my mind. I am looking a second time. Orin J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is the LIKE button when you need it?
    Max

    ReplyDelete