Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

An Affinity For The Light

When I was a child scary things lived under my bed and in my closet. I can recall huddling under the sheets in a dark room where I awoke to discover the night light had burned out leaving me in the pitch blackness. Salvation was a CLICK away. All I had to do was reach out and snap on the light by the bed. But I was too terrified to move, to reach out a hand. If I moved I might render myself more unsafe than if I laid in motionless terror.

I will risk being transparent here and admit that sometimes scary things still live under my bed. Thoughts left over, left unconquered from earlier times, present anxieties, illness. Dark or dim places light and grace can cut down to size if their ministry is accepted. These days I am finding it easier to click on the light. I may have a momentary inertia but the light has never failed me. So I reach. Whatever else I see when that light comes on, I see Christ standing there with me.

What a gift it is that we can even reach, in faith, for the light that is the Son of God. I am studying the Gospel of John and have been in that amazing opening chapter where Christ is in the Beginning. His life is described as being the light of all mankind. A light man did not reach for but fled from. A light the world tried to stamp out with a vengeance.

In a devotional I am reading it speaks of the meaning of "the darkness comprehended it not." It states that the darkness would not admit, receive or understand the light. It also states the the darkness "has no affinity for the light."

I asked the Lord to make me one who has an affinity for the Light. The True Light. Just as the priest in the Tabernacle had to stop at the golden candlestick to demonstrate Israel's rejection of any wisdom that was not of God, I desire to embrace only His light in my life. I want eyes to see all the different wave lengths that light comprises as it shines out displacing darkness. God's own Glory in Christ illuminating my way.

For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. 2 Corinthians 4:6

I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them. Isaiah 42:16

Father, I repent of any lingering, fearful love of the darkness. I thank you for the love of the Light I behold in the face of Jesus. May an affinity for your wisdom and Glory grow within me as my soul prospers in You.

(So what's under your bed?)

CLICK!

No comments:

Post a Comment