Pages

Friday, December 24, 2010

Manger-Heart



For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. – Isaiah 9:6

I know that this prophecy has been fulfilled. If I did not know it for any other reason, I know its the truth because I myself have called Him "Wonderful." I've called Him that more than once and He has demonstrated His "Wonderfulness" as my friend Kim calls it, every day.

God is wonderful and faithful and not so fussy as some of us. Good thing too. He called a manger full of straw home. How is that even possible? Does the President stay at the Motel 6? When did you last hear of the Pope sleeping in a barn?

Straw is sharp and dry and brittle. Certainly not welcoming. How clean might it have been? Not clean enough for my friend Pris. Not even clean enough for me and my friends will tell you I am not Martha Stewart. Do you suppose the animals drooled in it? I bet they did.

Our hearts are sometimes like that manger. Rough, sharp, dry and brittle and maybe a little untidy. Isn't it amazing that Jesus still wants to make His bed there? He doesn't care if He has to muck out the stall, He wants us to make room for Him. He will do the rest. His is a cleansing love.

Come, Lord Jesus. Turn aside here. Make your bed in my manger-heart.

"Be near me, Lord Jesus,
I ask Thee to stay
Close by me forever
And love me I pray"

He is truly Wonderful.

************************************************************************
Our friend Jane says Merry really should be translated "Mighty"...so John and I wish all of you a Mighty Christmas! Many Blessings. How He loves us.

No comments:

Post a Comment